Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 yrs old petite golden doodle and 6 mth basset hound…

Customer Question
My 2 yrs old...

My 2 yrs old petite golden doodle and 6 mth basset hound ingested some raw hamburger found in the bush near a walking path in Barrie last evening about 5pm. I gathered the rest of the meat which looks totally fresh no odour or discoloration , how eve we cannot find anyone that could test this meat for any poison. Both dogs still seem not bad other than the Bassett puppy is drinking a lot of water. We called the vet clinic as soon as we got home almost 1 hr later and they suggested feeding the dogs a big meal to try and help pass whatever they ate.. Both myself and my neighbour are very worried ..she has an appointment for blood tests at her local vet for the Bassett puppy. Any suggestions

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the Golden ate?

We have no idea how much but I assume a good chunk. the doodle weighs 24 lbs the Basset 35 bls

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Golden?

Seemed unaffected ate well and still seemed hungry at bedtime.. It is the Bassett puppy that showed signs of thirst

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear that the meat you gathered appeared fresh, but I am concerned about this situation, as we really have no way of knowing what may have been added to the meat that was eaten by the dogs. There's no easy way to test a sample for "any" known poison or toxin - each individual poison must be tested for, one by one, and there's of course a large cost associated with randomly testing for any possible poison without narrowing it down a bit. Also, at some point, you run out of sample to test.

It's good that the dogs seem OK - but I'd be watching especially closely to see if that increased thirst persists - and then have some bloodwork done to check liver and kidney function if anything seems abnormal. It would not be wrong to have such tests done today, at least to establish a "baseline" of where those numbers are when the 2 dogs are feeling well - just in case they become ill in a day or 2.

Thank you so much.. The Bassett is the one showing symptoms the golden doodle nothing yet. Bassett is going for blood tests in an hour. We have been really frustrated trying g to get answers with this especially how to get samples tested.. you have answered that concern thanks.

Glad to help. Best wishes!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Drew
The Bassett's​ blood work was a tiny bit elevated and she continued to be extremely thirsty for two days then it gradually got back to her normal amounts. She did have one huge bowel movement of a large slim ball.. then she was better. The doodle never experienced anything really other than one slightly loose stool a day later. Both dogs fortunately have co.e away unscathed thank God. I really appreciate your accessibility for questions and advice. I have recently recommended this web site to all my dog friends . Thanks again.. Barb