Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

SHE IS PREGNANT. I WENT TO VET THIS MONFAY. 2 OR 3 PUPS ON…

SHE IS PREGNANT Veterinarian's...

SHE IS PREGNANT

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

NO, I WENT TO VET THIS MONFAY. 2 OR 3 PUPS ON US I SCHEDULED XTAY IN COUPLE WEEKS

12/7/2017
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. How is she feeling? What questions can I answer for you today?
SHE SEEMS FINE, BUT SHE SLEEP A LOT, LICKING HER PAWS AND SOME DAYS NOT EATING WELL. I KNOW IT ALL SEEMS FINE FOR CHIHUAHUAS. I JUST WANT TO GET ALL INFO I CAN GET TO PREP ME FOR INHOME LABOR. I SCHEDULED XRAY ON DAY 52 AND WE WANT TO SEE HOW MANY PUPS AND HOW LARGE THEIR HEADS TO MAKE SURE FOR SAFE DELIVERY
I would recommend starting her on puppy food now to bump up her nutrition. I would also recommend starting her on a nutritional supplement Nutrical, 1/4 tsp every 12 hours. You Can purchase this at most pet stores.
As far as the paw licking, you can give Benadryl (1mg/lb) every 12 hours for the licking of the paws.
They typically go into labor at around 63 days (+/- 3 days). I would make sure she has a nice, quiet place to give birth and once she starts, check on her every 30-60 minutes to make sure she is having them regularly. If she goes more than 60 minutes between puppies, I would get her to the vet to have her checked, she might need a c section based on what they find.
SHE IS ON PUPPY FOOD ALREADY, I GOT HET ON ROYAL CANIN STARTER FOR MOM AND PUPS. I WILL GET HER NUTRITION U RECCOMEND. I READ THAT 2 PUPS CAN BE DANGEROUS COZ THEY WILL BE LARGE.
ALSO THERE IS A LOT OF DIFF IN FO ON GESTATION PERIOD FOR CHI'S? WHEN SHOULD I START ON HER TEMP?
SHE ALREADY GOT WHELPING BOX, BUT NOT SURE IS SHE LIKES IT YET.
SHOULD I LET HER EAT PLACENTA?
AND HOW TO CUT CORD IN CASE SHE WONT BITE IT OFF?
two and fewer puppies is dangerous for Chihuahua's because they can be too big, so hopefully that won't be the case with her. I would start on her temp st around 60 days. She will get used to her whelping box when it gets close to the time, she will want to nest. I would let her eat the placenta if she is wanting to do that. To cut the umbilical cord, take a clean pair of scissors and cut 1 cm close to the puppy. Usually we will tie off the area with suture, but it isn't necessary to do.
I READ SOMWHERE THAT U NEED TO GIVE MILD LAXATIVE COUPLA DAYS PRIOR SO SHE CLEANS HER COLON. IS IT NEEDED?
ALSO SHE START EATING MORE HUMAN FOOD. I GAVE HER TURKEY MEAT W RICOTTA AND SOME ESBILAC PUPPY MILK MIX. SHOWL I JUSR WAIT TILL SHE GETS HUNGRY AND EAT DOG FOOD?
You do not need to give a laxative prior to them giving birth, in fact it might make things messier, so I wouldn't. If she is wanting human food, you can give her boiled chicken and white rice. I would try to avoid cheese of any kind because it tends to cause GI issues.
WHAT IF JUST WANT HUMAN FOOD? DOES SHE NEED ANY OTHER SUPPLEMENTS BESIDES NUTRICAL?
I would mix in some canned puppy food with the chicken and rice and add the nutrical. That will most likely be enough if worst comes to worse.
CAN SHE HAVE STORE BOUGHT DOG CHEW TREATS? SHE LIKES PEANUT SMARTBONE CHEWS
I'd hold off in those so she doesn't fill up on reats.
HOW MANY QUESTIONS I CAN ASK U? SHE IS DUE ON 27TH.
IS IT BETTER TO SET UP WHELPING AREA IN OUR BEDROOM OR IN LIVING ROOM?
I think this question expires in 6 days, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I would set up the whelping area in the bedroom. Would you mind taking a minute to give me a positive rating while you have a chance?
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
GOOD MORNING, I DID RATE U YESTERDAY.
HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, SHE GOT PRETTY BIG AND CLUMSY NOW. SHE CANT GET ON COUCH OR BED NOW, BUT SHE CAN JUMP OFF. SHOU;D I LET HER JUMP OR JUST HELP HER DOWN?
Thank you for the positive rating. I would not let her jump on and off furniture until after she whelps.
I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GET HER A RUMP COZ SHE WONT USE STAIRS AS WELL
GOOD MORNING, I WAS WONDERING IF ITS OK FOR HER TO SLEEP ON HER BACK W BELLY UP? SOMEHOW SHE SLEEPS LIKE THAT OFTEN
that should be fine. There haven't been any studies showing any contraindication's like in pregnant women.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning and happy new year. i have some questions about my chi. she had birth on 27th, she had some red slimy discharge when urinating today. Also she very lethargic during the day. At night she is restless, running and looking for something, digging in bed and hiding in sofa coushins. She also shivers during the day. Whelping box is in our bedroom and she comes to living room to check on me and leaves puppies.
Hello, sometimes that can be normal after giving birth in dogs, but with the lethargy, I worry about a secondary infection. The only way to know for sure would be to take her in to the vet for a checkup.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is getting outside, still vagging her tale and eat and drink. We took her to vet on 29th coz i was worry about her action. Vet said all looks good, she have milk. She also said it could be separation anxiety coz me and her always was together and now she have to stay w puppies. She is awake now and running searching for something again
If it gets worse I would take her in for some bloodwork. That's about all you can do at this point.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She just had a clump of slimy blood came out. I already talked to vet yesterday, I just want a second opinion. Our vet said its fine till 6th week after birth.
Ok, I follow you. I agree, I have even seen a few blood clots up until 8 to 10 weeks in some dogs and it was perfectly normal for them. As long as she's still tail wagging with good energy, she should be just fine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She just had diarrhea and i could see blood in her stool
Poor thing. That could be unrelated to her being post partum to be honest with you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SHE WONT EAT DRY FOOD SO I FEED HER HUMAN FOOD. SCRAMBLED EGGS TURKEY BUCKWHEAT MASHPOTATOES
That could actually be causing the diarrhea to be honest with you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WHAT SHOULD I FEED HER? SHE IS VERY HUNGRY
I would try boiled chicken and white rice for her.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I WILL TRY THAT. WHEN PUPPIES EYES WILL OPEN? ALSO HER WHELPING BOX IS ON OUR BED. DO I NEED TO MOVE THEM TO FLOOR? I HAVE AN AREA SET UP FOR IT ON BEDROOM FLOOR. SHE WAS JUST SO RESTLESS I PUT HER ON BED
Pups usually open their eyes around 10 days old. You could move the whelping box off of the bed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Happy friday. My mama still have diarrhea. i gave her some chic***** *****ver coz she refused rice and chicken. She had diarrhea all night and i assume her belly didnt like liver. I gave her puppy dry food and she eat a bit. Also she likes peanut butter. i also have a question is i can take her to trim her nail and leave pups home? i was debating not to do trim while she was preggo coz her belly got big. pups seems nursing fine, but wining a lot at night.I ASLO WONDER IF SHE CAN HAVE SOME PEANUT BUTTER, SHE LOVED IT
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SORRY ABOUT DOUBLE PEANUT BUTTER QUESTION
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian