Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had perfect health up to last night. She seems to…

Customer Question
Hi, my dog has...

Hi, my dog has had perfect health up to last night. She seems to be hacking and coughing almost like there is something in her throat. She has thrown up once by coughing. She does not have a runny nose or red eyes at all. What can I do to help her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Nothing unusual, she has had a new toy called a gorilla chew that she has been knawing on

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chew?

Few days old, still fairly new

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chew?

Not that I know of. The chew is practically just wood that slowly sheds off and does not splinter. Not sure if this would have anything to do with it but we have recently moved to a new home as well. Tonight before vomiting she was licking to floors excessively.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Can you confirm her age and breed for me?

And do you think this is coughing or more of a vomiting attempt?

Paul

She is a 13 month lab Shepard mix. She's never really coughed before. Notice it today when she saw my boyfriend come home and when we went on a walk as well

Thanks

Sometimes they will vomit after making repeated coughing attempts

Recent exposure to other dogs- kennel, groomer, dog park?

Vaccines are current?

Paul

All vaccines are current, including kennel cough. She always visits the same dogs parks but no groomers or other places

Okay thanks

One last question- would you describe the "event" as a honking kind of cough? Followed by a clearing of the throat?

Paul

I would describe it more of a a dry hack. She has been licking her lips excessively. We had given her a few ice cubes and that is when she threw up large chunks. The coughing has reduced but is still occurring

Okay thanks

I am not worried first of all- As in I dont think this is anything serious

But lets try this:

Put her in bathroom with shower on hot for ten minutes

Repeat three times a day

Give her Robitussin DM- one teaspoon two to three times a days for two days

That should sort things out for you

And please update me this afternoon

Okay?

She can have robbatussen? What will that do for her and hour much? She weighs about 74 pounds

Yes she can :)

And it will stop the coughing for us

Give one teaspoon (5.0 ml)

Paul

Thank you!
I will update you this evening

Great!

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid :)

Chat soon

Paul

Do I have to pay again to update you or would it be the same case?

Nope :)

I will leave the link open for you until this problem is sorted.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian