Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On Nov 10th this year we took my 6yr old lb pamper Pit in to…

Customer Question
On Nov 10th this...

On Nov 10th this year we took my 6yr old 69 lb pamper Pit Bull in to the Vet because my groomer who sees her once a month said she looked like something (mites) in her ear. I abruptly took her in to be checked.. They did an exam Comprehensive a Earmite check a ear cycology an diagnosis Ottis Externa due to BACT. they prescibed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

30 Gentizol Ointment. She was given it every 12 hours as told. Four days later she is deaf. she was taken back to the Vet next day. They said discontinue treatment and check back in two weeks. I just got home tonight from Vet who now tells me to contact a specialist because he checked her ears all clear medicine absorbed but she is still deaf. She now has been diagnosis of Potential Otitis Media which requires a CT Scan of middle Ear. The original Dr. who saw Cindy was not available for comment. another Dr. at the same clinic gave this diagnosis. I have insurance with a deductible, but I have asked to have a referral and an diagnosis from the orignal vet who tested her in the beginning. Cindy is 6yr old 69lb pit bull gray nose (white and gray) brindle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cindy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cindy?

They have been taking care of her since 2/2016. All shots. She is a very health dog.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
What else do you need to know? She is a pamper pet.
Fetch Dog Services takes care of her in my home when I travel. Stacie who is her sitter is also a vet tech at the same clinic where I took Cindy. She knows my dog very well. In fact she administered the first dose of Gentizol and showed me how to do it. I am just beside myself with the outcome of this situation.
Her last complete physical was 8/25/2017 She was given a clean bill of health needed for continued pet insurance. She is a great eater. Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Stomach no human food. Pupperoni and Milk Bones for snacks. Very loving and affectionate dog. Until this incident a great watch dog.
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 4 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

I'm not sure what the question you are asking is. I'm also not sure why you want the original vet to diagnose her and give her a referral if another vet at the same clinic has recommended a specialist. What I can do is give you information on Gentizol Ointment (Gentamicin) Possible side effects are hearing loss in older sensitive dogs. You can read about this on the following pages.

https://vetapprovedrx.pharmacy/gentizol-for-dogs.html

https://dogdiscoveries.com/ear-drops-may-be-making-your-dog-deaf/

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/gentamicin-gentocin-for-dogs-and-cats/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3490132/

Often the deafness is temporary but can be permanent. If hearing loss is temporary, it can take weeks after discontinuing its use to see improvement. You might consider a senior check up with blood work since there can be other side effects as well.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner