Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My. 9 pound dog Russel rat terrier. He’s one year old. He…

Customer Question
9 pound dog jack...

9 pound dog jack Russel rat terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He’s one year old. He got on the table and practically inhaled about a quarter pound of ground turkey with chili seasoning. Is bloated, passing gas and frequently urinating

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Paulie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paulie?

No, he had done this a few times when he got into cat food

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Paulie.

Was the ground turkey cooked or raw? How long ago did that happen?

Cooked and mixed with taco seasoning. This happened 2-3 hours ago
He was acting sick and urinated on the floor, bouts of panting. This all lasted about 15 min and now he is passing gas and playing with toys

Ok, thank you for that additional information. The fat from the meat and the spice from the chili season can cause significant GI upset (usually vomiting and/or diarrhea). He was likely experiencing indigestion earlier as he was starting to digest it. Depending on the ability of his GI tract, he may be able to process this meal without any further side effects.

However, some dogs (after a fatty meal) experience pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). The pancreas creates enzymes to digest fat and can become painfully inflamed when overstimulated. This results in repeated vomiting, painful abdomen and sometimes diarrhea.

What about gluttony bloat? His abdomen is swollen and hard but he isn’t in pain anymore when I touch it. He was acting very sick and it looked like an emergency but now he seems to be back to himself but still with the hard stomach and frequent urinating, burping and passing gas.

Gluttony bloat typically occurs when a dog ingests a very large meal (like a Labrador who gets into an entire bag of food). As the food is digested, his GI tract is creating the gas causing the hard feeling to his abdomen and the burping and gas.

I recommend fasting him until morning (offering water only) to allow his GI tract to rest.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. Checking in on Paulie. How is he feeling today?

H​ow is Paulie doing? I hope he has improved. Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian