Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Since this morning my Shi Tzu is trying to poop walks 2

Customer Question
Hi, since this morning...

Hi, since this morning my Shi Tzu is trying to poop walks 2 steps and tries and tries he pooped a little and tonight he tried again and started squeaking like he's in pain. How can I help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No there isn't. It seems to be something inside him idk, he picks up a lot of stuff off the street and swallows it before I can take it out of his mouth, he doesn't want to be touched..

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Cooper he's 10 month old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

It's Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No idea. We've had him for 5 month now and didn't have any problems

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok, thanks

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Cooper is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If he is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one teaspoon twice a day for a smaller dog like Cooper.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, or perhaps giving bones, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this, of course, is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

6. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Cooper's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian