Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's a 9 year old Tibetan Mastiff. In the last few months he…

Customer Question
He's a 9 year...

He's a 9 year old Tibetan Mastiff. In the last few months he has trouble moving. Hind legs appear to be swollen, lacks coordination, has several sebaceous cysts, appears to have trouble breathing at times, snores and is very lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Storm

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Storm?

He stumbles, especially after laying down for awhile. Appears to have trouble with moving his hind legs forward to walk. HInd joints definitely swollen. His nose is cracked and dry (have been putting cortison oil on it, but it doesn't appear to help and his muzzle also seems swollen

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Cheryl, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. That's quite a litany of symptoms you've posted. When there are so many body systems affected, Storm's vet will be needed in order to clarify which symptoms are most important to "work up" and which indicate less important disorders that can wait to be addressed.

My primary concerns are his swollen hind legs which usually indicates a peripheral and dependent edema due to right-sided heart failure or hypoalbuminemia (a lack of the small protein albumin in the blood often due to a poorly functioning liver unable to produce enough albumin or albumin less through damaged kidneys or bowel). Less commonly, such swelling is due to lymphedema - a collection of protein-rich fluid secondary to lymph vessel disease or malignancy that has metastasized to the lymph vessels.

"Trouble breathing" is unclear to me but is consistent with heart failure as I mentioned above. It would be prudent to have Storm's vet attend to him at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, X-rays of Storm's thorax (chest), and X-rays or ultrasound of his abdomen to be performed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Sorry, not very helpful. If I could get him to the Vet I would. I have just changed his diet (again), stopped giving him turmeric powder in his dinner, and added 1 x panadol tablet. This seems to have reduced some of the swelling in his legs, and he is walking better and a bit more active. Actually went outside about four times yesterday, as opposed to one. Thanks for your time

You're quite welcome. I'll opt out which will allow another expert to enter this conversation and perhaps be more helpful.