Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a about 10 oz of solidified hamburger grease!

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jax, age 9 Mix breed, about 50 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jax?

It was about 30 minutes ago He got into the trash :-(

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?

No, he is a very healthy dog. He ate his regular meal, then got into the trash when I went out to feed my horses

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, the outcome of eating solidified grease is likely vomiting or diarrhea, less likely pancreatitis. However, he is 50 lbs and had eaten prior to so it is possible that you may not see any symptoms. I would keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours if he vomits and develops diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter