Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Terrier mix just hit by car. Any advice? No money or

Customer Question
Terrier mix just hit...

Terrier mix just hit by car. Any advice? No money or transportation to get to vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the terrier?

Was just hit by car and in shock. We think she was hit near her hind area due to bruising color getting worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the terrier's name and age?

Cookie is her name and she is 4yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cookie?

4 or 5 yrs old I believe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?

No she is a healthy dog, just got loose while using bathroom outside and a car hit her

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 7 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there. I am Dr. Christensen. I will do what I can to help. How is her mentation? Is she responding to you?

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 7 months ago

Check her gum color. They should be a nice pink color. If they are pale or white it could be an indication of shock or internal bleeding. You can pinch between her back toes to see if she can feel her hind legs. The concern with hit by cars (HBC) is that the injuries on the outside are often not reflective of the injuries going on inside. Organ damage, ruptured bladder, fractured pelvis, spinal injures etc are all things that we are concerned about with this type of truama. She is also likely in a significant amount of pain and there are not over the counter pain medications for dogs.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 7 months ago

Keep her movements to a minimum. Keep her warm. Her body temperature will likely drop if she is in shock. She really needs x-rays, IV fluids, and pain control. If you can call a taxi or an uber to get her to a veterinarian that would be my recommendation. Or are there any mobile veterinarians in your area that can come to you?

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 7 months ago

Hoping Cookie is doing ok. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I hope I was able to help you today. I am so sorry that this happened to Cookie. Keep me posted when you have time. I am sure you are tending to her right now.

Wishing you all the best,

Dr. Christensen