Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 and 1/2 year old pit drinks water constantly, and as a…

Customer Question
My 1 and 1/2...

My 1 and 1/2 year old pit bull drinks water constantly, and as a result of this has to go pee all the time. I can not leave him alone for long or he will go in the house is this normal. I am thinking of limiting his water intake to a bowl in the morning and a bowl in the evening. tired of opening the back door all day long.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pit. What is the pit's name?

Bosco. lethargy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bosco?

Well, he was until recently, an outdoor dog mostly,we took him in from someone looking for a new home, he very well trained and very smart. We have to crate him when we leave, otherwise he gets into mischief. Very lovable.I do not have his shot records yet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bosco. Before limiting his water availability - which can be quite dangerous - it's best to attempt to determine why he's polydipsic (increased thirst). Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies; urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease/rare at his age), hyperthyroidism/rare at his age (all three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia); hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level most often due to lymphoma; less commonly due to primary hyperparathyroidism); electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances; and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, psychogenic polydipsia, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Bruno's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted (for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw; never restrict water, however) blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.