Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just had her 1st litter on December 4th and has

Customer Question
Hello She just had...

Hello She just had her 1st litter on December 4th and has diarrhea. What is safe for her to take? She was a stray we rescued in November and she was already pregnant at that time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the stray dog?

No other than that she is doing great.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. It is safe to start her on probiotics. Fortiflora and Proviable are the two that I recommend. Also feed a very bland diet for a couple of days, like chicken and rice. Because she was a stray, you also want to take a stool sample to your local veterinarian for a fecal. It is likely that she has parasites, which may be harmful for the puppies. Very happy to hear that she is doing well otherwise. Please post any follow up questions. Puppy pictures are welcome as well! Enjoy the holidays.