Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our Italian greyhound was neutered last Friday. Since the.

Our Italian greyhound was...

Our Italian greyhound was neutered last Friday. Since the

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Our Italian greyhound was neutered last Friday. He was VERY swollen and bruised and had a mild fever on Sat so I returned to the vet and he was put on Amoxicillin. On Sun eve his fever was 105 rectally. Used cool compresses bring it down and back to vet Monday morning. Fever was 103.6 at vet. Was told to continue the amox. and given Ace to try and keep him calm. He is Houdini. Can get around his “cone of shame”, his surgical wear and even his dog diaper we were using to attempt to keep him from his incision site. Tuesday morning I had to leave him in his crate for 45 min to take my son to class and on the Ace he was able to get through ALL of the above and remove his own stitches. Ugh.... back to our vet we went. They said he was healed enough that he did not need to be restitched and to continue giving him the Ace to help with trying to keep him away from the area. His temp yesterday was 103.6. Today his temp is back to 104.1. I am at a loss as to what is going on with his temp. Any thoughts..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Enzo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Enzo?

He weighs 13 pounds. He’s eating off and on. Not eating this morning but I assume his fever has a lot to do with that.

12/6/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Did they make a small incision or did they have to go into the abdomen?

Paul

Small incision. Enzo’s surgery was very routine. We have a Frenchie as well and when he was neutered they had to go way up into his abdomen to search for his second testicle which was never found. Apparently Bernard only had one.

Thanks

I must admit that that fever is worrisome and not something I have ever had to deal with in my post-op neuters

Is there any coughing? I am wondering about a possible aspiration pneumonia

Paul

No. No coughing. No labored breathing or anything that would indicate a respiratory issue. Wouldn’t the antibiotics help with that IF that were the case? He’s been on 100mg Amoxicillin 2x daily since Sat.

Thanks

Well truth be told Amoxicillin would not be the first antibiotic I would have reached for

It does not cover near enough bacteria

And I would have done chest x-rays to look for lung changes even though no coughing- still would

There is no way that a teeny neuter incision would push a fever that high

There is something else going on

Do you live where it is warm? Lyme disease?

Did they check the red and white blood cell counts when there was a fever?

Paul

Not since he has had fever. I ALWAYS have preop blood work done in case there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed prior to surgery. It was all normal. We live is Chesapeake, VA. Near VA Beach. I have had dogs my whole life and always had them spayed/neutered and have never encounter anything like this. We are military and lived on Guam for 3 years. We rescued and brought 3 (2 dogs 1 cat) back with us. They all were altered. I volunteered with GAIN (Guam Animals In Need) it’s the shelter on the island. Several times a year RAM flew volunteer Vets out to do spay/neuter clinics. We would do approx 600 in 3-4 days. So this is not totally new to me but I have never seen one of mine react this way.

Thanks

And yes, this is most assuredly not normal

I recommend that you follow my plan of action

We need to find out what is going on

Paul

Thank you. I will call our vet now. Yesterday we talked about doing blood work. They tend to be conservative which I appreciate so we agreed to continue his antibiotic and watch him. I think it’s necessary now. Thank you for your help. Have a great holiday.

You are very welcome!

My wife is a double board certified veterinary pathologist and would be happy to review the results

Please update me/us with any results you get

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how this ole doc gets paid :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thank you so much!! Will do! :)
Just returned from our vet. Enzo’s WBC was 32,000. Mostly neutrophils. It was 8000 prior to surgery. Put him on Baytril.

Okay and the red blood cell count? Was it normal? And the platelets?

everything else was normal.

Okay

Lets see how this goes

Update me tomorrow AM

Paul

Will do. Thank you again for your help.

Good morning

How are we doing?

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian