Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old pit mix has been having accidents in the house…

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old pit bull mix has been having accidents in the house which is very unusual and then this morning she started having a dry cough.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Maybeliene

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maybeliene?

I just thought she may have a UTI and was looking up to see if I could give her amoxicillin. I rescues her 4 years ago and this is the first time she has had any problems.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you

It may be that we are dealing with two different problems

Has she been in contact with other dogs in the past week- kennel, groomer, dog park?

Any blood in the urine?

Drinking more water?

Paul

No hasn't been any contact with other dogs, no blood in urine but has been drinking alot more lately.
I am at work and unable to receive calls.

Thanks

Okay so likely having accidents secondary to the increased drinking

There are lots of reasons for increased thirst- kidney infection, diabetes, cushing's disease, high calcium etc etc

Dont need to talk by phone- sorry about the BOTS

The best thing to do here is to have her blood and urine tested. They should be able to diagnoses the reason for the increased thirst and determine if any infection in the urinary tract.

They should do chest x-rays at the same time

Is she spayed?

Okay.

Lets get her scheduled for a physical examination and blood-urine tests

Please update me after the exam and I would be happy to review the results with you

As I mentioned above, they can take chest x-rays at same time.

Paul

ok thank you

You are very welcome

I will look for your update

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid

Thanks, Paul

How are things going there?

Just a friendly reminder to rate me- Otherwise I dont get paid

Thanks, Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian