Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a French Bulldog she’s 9 years old, my neighbor came…

Customer Question
I have a French...

I have a French Bulldog she’s 9 years old , my neighbor came over tonight with her and my dog has a tendency to try and charge any dog that comes into our house . I guess it’s typical bully behavior . Tonight she was acting a little crazy then she started limping her back leg can’t support her she has been resting a couple hours but when she went to come upstairs she felll over and she needed to be carried. I’ve never seen her have a limp for more than a few minutes before , this seems to be getting worse ,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes nothing in her paw or top of foot looks normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Winnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?

She had a non malignant mellinoma tumor a year ago behind her eye and she’s had that eye removed , other than that perfectly healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am so sorry to hear about Winnie's limping. Do you have any pain or anti inflammatory medication that has been previously prescribed for her?

The most common reason for a dog to suddenly not be able to walk on a hind leg is a torn ACL, anterior cruciate ligament. This is a fairly common injury in dogs.

It might be best to get an Xray to be sure nothing is broken, but a torn ACL does not show up on an Xray. Your veterinarian would be able to diagnose if her ACL is torn, by feeling her knee joint for abnormal laxity.

If this is a torn ACL, there are many therapies, but the ligament does not heal back together; once torn it is torn for good.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I have not heard back from you; how is Winnie doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.