Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 week old puppy who isn't eating and has a temp of…

Customer Question
I have a 6...

I have a 6 week old puppy who isn't eating and has a temp of 103.4 I was thinking of going him clavamox or amoxicillin (I have tablet form only but was going to crush it up.) what would the dosage be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

It isn;t named yet, part of a litter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

He threw up the food I tried to give him. I gave him 3cc of lasted ringer and a bit of kart syrup

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Karo syrup

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Ideally, his vet should perform a thorough physical exam on this pup if only because viral infections are important considerations at his age or perhaps the fever has results from an abscess that needs surgical attention. Amoxicillin is reasonable at 10 mg per pound of body weight twice daily for a minimum of 4 days. Amoxicillin/clavulanate (Clavamox) is dosed at 6.25 mg per pound of body weight twice daily for a minimum of 5 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Information came way too late. Please refund.

I'll take care of that for you.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian