Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog developed a limp (hind leg) after playing outside. We…

Customer Question
My dog developed a limp...
My dog developed a limp (hind leg) after playing outside. We assumed she had just landed wrong running around. Since then, she will not climb stairs. This evening she came inside having trouble walking on both hind legs.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your dog is injured. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is she?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Breed?

4- Can you describe what you are seeing in her back legs?

7 yrs old
Pitbull
No conditions except slightly over weight
She cane inside almost hopping her butt in the air trying to walk. Her legs look normal otherwise and she has no problem with me touching them

1- Is she bearing weight on both limbs?

but taking breaks to lay down even when eating which is out of character

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, a very common injury to the hind limb in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). However, when both legs are affected we also need to rule out disorders of the hips, a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that this happened tonight so quickly I would want to rule out a bulging disc. If this is related to a bulging disc the longer she goes without treatment the worse the prognosis. For this reason, I would recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian; at the very least for the vet to start her on prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medication. Do not give over the counter anti-inflammatory medication most are toxic to dogs. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter