Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a pekingese she an older dog but lately she has been…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a pekingese she an older dog but lately she has been walking in circles like she don't know where she going and her back leg give out on her and her noise is peeling and I'm just trying to see what could be the problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Princess she is 13

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Ok

I'm sorry to hear of this with Princess. Her aimless circling is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving her forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Both intracranial (within the skull) disorders such as brain tumor (important at her age) and extracranial (outside the skull) disorders such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating the brain need to be considered. Princess's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to spot an extracranial disorder that might be addressed in a conservative manner. An MRI +/- cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis are needed to spot intracranial disorders such as brain tumor - advanced imaging and diagnosticsI would be circumspect about performing at Princess's age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian