Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a French Bulldog that is 2 and a half weeks. She is a…

Customer Question
I have a French...

I have a French Bulldog that is 2 and a half weeks. She is a runt of the litter, in the last 3 days after eating her food milk has been coming out of her nose. She weighs 6.8oz and during feeding there is no milk is coming from the nose. Its about 5 minutes after feeding that the milk will come out. Its never happened before, is all new

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the French Bulldog's name?

Little lady

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about your puppy. That is my favorite breed. They are just so sweet. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
then fist thing that comes to mind is a cleft palate. It is something that puppies can be born with and can cause problems as far as nursing or feeding is concerned. These puppies are often the smallest of the litter and are very slow growers. It would be best to have him examined to ensure that there are not anatomical concerns with this little one. That is just one possiblity as to what could be causing those symptoms.
Is she nursing or how is she being fed at this point.
Sorry didn't mean to type him...
Do you have a vet that you trust and could schedule an exam with if the issue persists?
Also is this puppy eating really fast? You could try slower her down and /or changing her posture while eating. If nursing maybe putting her on one of the top nipples.
This may not be an issue if the puppy is otherwise growing well and thriving. It should resolve with time as long as there is not an anatomical problem hence the reason for the exam.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
IF you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
I have been feeding her with a syringe and a nipple since birth. She has never done this before. She was 4.5oz then now is 6.8oz. So don't know if maybe that's to much milk for her stomach. I gave her 6oz and it happened again then feed her 4oz. and she was fine. I thought maybe cause she is the runt that maybe the stomach is just smaller.
Ok that makes sense. I would just back off on the amount you are feeding. It definitely sounds like it is just too much for her tummy. Sounds crazy but I just had a baby 3 weeks ago and I was dealing with a similar situation with her. Hungry all the time but increased her milk volume a little too fast and then tummy issues even a little milk out the nose yesterday!
Just back off and do smaller more frequent feedings if needed. If it persists then have her examined. If she was fine initially then unlikely a cleft palate.
Any questions?
Can you tell me what her average weight gain should be per day or per week so I can keep an eye on that. So that she would remain a healthy weight
There are no hard and fast rules but here is a chart that gives you an average weight per week. She might be a little lower if she is the runt. I like to base it more on BCS body condition score. It is based more in body conformation. You can Google these charts that show BCS.
I just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going. Are things going better?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian