Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can I give my dog Senokot, say a 1/2 tab, along with some…

Customer Question
Can I give my...

Can I give my dog Senokot, say a 1/2 tab, along with some fiber, such as a capsule of Metamucil. For constipation, two days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Austin. 13-year-old tshidsu weighing 15 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Austin?

No, not at this time.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Austin.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Senokot (Docusate Sodium) can be given to dogs since it's relatively gentle laxative; the dose would be 1/2-1 capsule 1-2 times a day for a dog this size.

There are other options for you to consider as well:

1. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix); 1-4 tsp daily in food for small dogs. Squash can be substituted for pumpkin.

3. Human otc Miralax can be quite effective at a dose of 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily

3. Raw bran flakes (wheat bran, not the cereal) at a dose of ¼-1/2 tsp daily

4. Psyllium (Metamucil®) an be given. Doses vary and should be adjusted dose up or down depending on stool character. One teaspoon of metamucil per 10 pounds of body weight per feeding mixed with food 1-2 times a day which would be 1.5 teaspoons for a dog this size.

If none of the above are successful in another day or so, then Austin may need an enema which would best be administered by your vet.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian