Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Sudden onset of unable to use back legs only for mins at a

Customer Question

sudden onset of unable to use back legs only for mins at a time.haven't eaten for 6days but drinking water.Prior to these systems she threw up bile like substance in small amts.doesn't appear to be in distress.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: libby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Libby?
Customer: She is part lab part collie.She is 15yrs old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Libby, please?

Can you clarify "unable to use back legs" for me, please? Does she become paretic (weak)/paralyzed in her hind legs or is she more generally collapsing with other signs of illness? Whatever the cause, if any dog - especially such a geriatric one - hasn't eaten in 6 days, her disorder is life-threatening and she needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?