Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have breed our boy and girl Yorkies. She should be going…

Customer Question
We have breed our...

We have breed our boy and girl Yorkies. She should be going out of her fertile season, but she keeps letting the boy mount and tie with her. Does this mean she is not pregnant? I have heard that if the girl is pg the boy will not mate with her anymore. Is this true. She truly has been a bit slutty. Thanks Jackie

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?

No that is all. Thank you!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Usually when a dog is coming out of heat or if she's already been bred and impregnated, she will not be receptive to a male trying to breed her. However, we see all sorts of different scenarios in reality. The earliest reliable test for pregnancy is an abdominal ultrasound at around 28 days post breeding. I would recommend that as a next step to see if they can find any puppies. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you could take a minute to give me a positive rating so I can get credit for this question, I would really appreciate it. Best of luck with everything!