Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We are the 3rd owner of a 10 year old American Eskimo. She…

Customer Question
We are the 3rd...

We are the 3rd owner of a 10 year old American Eskimo. She is a gentle loving dog with one exception. When we take her in the car we put her in the back with a fence between she and us. When we stop and open a door she screams and claws at the side of the car and the top of the back seat. It's gotten to be unbearable. She is a perfect dog in the house. We have never left her alone in the house. We are un-sure or how she would act.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Dogs definitely behave differently in the car. It can cause a lot of anxiety. I have a lab that I can't take in the car because he screams the entire time. How long have you owned Moxie?

3 months

It is always a little scary to adopt a dog, not knowing their habits. You may start with trying to leave her alone in the house. STARTING WITH VERY SMALL BITS OF TIME. Is she crated when you leave the house or would she react like she does in the car? The car rides may require medication and desensitization. You can start with "natural" type medications. The desensitization part would be to put her in the car for a minute and take her out. then maybe back down the driveway.... little bits of stimulation at a time. Have you tried any meds with her on car rides?

Hi, are you still there?

That was not a satisfactory answer. Please cancel our communication, and cancel the charges to our credit card.

I was trying to have a conversation. I can give direct advice but usually it is more of a conversation that ends with advice. I will opt out and you can request from the company. I am sorry you are not satisfied.