Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had diarrhea for a few days and this morning he…

Customer Question
My dog has had...

My dog has had diarrhea for a few days and this morning he is lethargic and thirsty. He is 12 years old and otherwise in pretty good health.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Jake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?

He is not very interested in food this morning.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 6 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am so sorry to hear Jake has had diarrhea for a few days.

Unfortunately, diarrhea is a non-specific sign and could indicate anything from ingestion of unusual item that upset his system to lodged foreign object to organ problem (liver, kidney) to pancreatitis to parasites to cancer and the list continues. I usually advocate it is okay to monitor for 48 hours but if at any point in that time the diarrhea turns blood or black, or he becomes lethargic and not eating well that then it is time to have him examined by a veterinarian and do some testing. It sounds like he has developed a low appetite which may be associated with whatever is causing him to have the diarrhea, or it may be associated with dehydration from the diarrhea.

My best recommendation would be to have him examined today and consider having your veterinarian do some testing to try to narrow down the cause. If, however, you are unable to have him seen today I can give you a few over-the-counter hints you can try today but if this doesn't work by tomorrow then you know he must be seen.

I would like to hear the otc hints and then schedule an appointment for tomorrow. Thanks.

If he was my patient and you were unable to have him seen today then I might recommend you try the following at home:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol tablet: Give 1/2 tab by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey

Hi, I just wanted to follow up and find out how Jake has been doing. Let me know if you have any further questions.