Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Maltese has a hard stomach and is shaking since last

Customer Question
My Maltese has a...

My Maltese has a hard stomach and is shaking since last night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Wally 7

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Wally is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Did he get into anything?

3- Is he eating and drinking?

4- Is he walking any different?

5- Any other symptoms?

6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

1. no vomiting, his stool is a little softer than normal but not diarrhea. he went once last night since he's been sick and once this morning. no coughing. 2. not sure if he ate something in the kids room or my sister overfed him sweet potato. 3. when i got up to feed the dogs (i have 2 others) he got up and wanted to eat as well although he was slow to move. not drinking any water. 4. can't tell if he's walking different, slower for anything.
he whimpers when you try to pick him up. he breathes heavy sometimes but not constantly.
no pre-existing conditions

1- Can you take his rectal temperature?

no

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is shaking and moving slower this could be a sign of a fever or he could be in pain. As far as the source of the pain it can be neuromuscular disorders like a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle along the back; abdominal pain, etc. to name a few causes. His abdomen being hard further supports being in pain. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would recommend having Wally checked by your family veterinarian this morning for a hands-on examination. He may also need x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Do not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. For now, just keep him quiet and limit all physical activity to a short walk to urinate or defecate.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

i don't think it is a pinched nerve or pulled muscle. how could that have happened? he didn't run or jump around. He was fine one moment and after eating extra sweet potato, i went to go pick him up and he started yelping. i thought something was wrong with one of his legs but that wasn't the problem because after he was sitting a while, he got up to move to somewhere else and walked fine. What other problem could this be?

If you are seeing this happened after eating extra sweet potato he could have abdominal pain as a result of Pancreatitis. For this reason, it is important a hands-on examination to pinpoint exactly the underlying cause. However, his symptoms are consistent with being in pain.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian