Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am trying to figure out if my dog had a stroke or has a…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out if my dog had a stroke or has a bran tumor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Huh? this is clearly automated. his name is ***** ***** he is 10.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Booker?

Um, yes he has knuckling mostly on left front paw still enjoys food and water often his legs splay out and he falls when standing seems to do ok walking once he gets going but trips sometimes wait what?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Does your dog's head tilt to the side at all? Does he ever walk in circles? How long has this knuckling been going on? Does he have trouble jumping up and down from things?

He has a normal, longstanding and mild tilt. not vestibular disease according to my vet and different from when he was diagnosed with that. he doesn't circle. knuckling maybe 3 days, lots of trouble climbing up and down stairs and on and off couch which was very easy previously

Okay. This does not sound like a brain tumor... this sounds more like spinal issues, which are common with old age. Sounds like your dog may have some bulging/slipped discs in the cervical and thoracic regions (and possibly lumbar) of the spine. The best treatment is daily anti-inflammatory medication from your vet. You can also use cold compresses on the back of the neck (frozen vegetables wrapped in a hand towel) for 15mins once or twice a day on bad days and that can help. But there's no real cure other than seeing a neurologist and having spinal surgery, which typically costs $5-7K. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.