Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Tadpole, my 9 & 1/2 lb, about 91/2 years old Pom/Chi with a…

Customer Question
Tadpole, my 9 &...

Tadpole, my 9 & 1/2 lb, about 91/2 years old Pom/Chi with a history of liver disease with gall bladder surgery in May 2017. Uneventful recovery except he refuses to eat the prescribed diet. He is on Atopica 1 pill a day. I am currently trying to get him to eat dog food that has as close as I can find it, the main foods in the liver dog food. About 6:30 PM he got into and ate a full size cinnamon/raisin bagel. A bit ago my daughter told me raisins are poison to dogs. He seems to be OK. He is bright & alert, responsive to directions & awakens quickly if I wake him to check on him or just to take him out. I am 83 years old with health challenges but will take him to the ER if it is necessary.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes, he ate a full size cinnamon/raisin bagel when I forgot he loves bread. I put it in the car & forgot to make sue he could not get to the bagels.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He also had his left knee repaired in Dec.2015. The right one is also affected & is being watched. Again an uneventful recovery. In Aug. 2015 he wasn't voiding regularly. Sometimes he would "assume the position",and nothing would happen. When I mentioned it to my Vet she was alarmed. They round the penis was nearly blocked with a mass od the "smudge," blocking the penis. There were three very small specks of calcium in the mass that enabled them to identify the mass. On the recommendation of the surgeon we decided to wait & watch. He has not had a recurrence. He is on Atopica 300mg qd, Flagyl 250 mg , & entyce 0.45 ml qd, most days.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Raisins can become toxic when ingested at a dose of 0.43 grams/lb which would be equivalent to about 4 grams for a 9.5 lb dog. A raisin weighs about 1 gram and so if the bagel contained at least 4 raisins there's the potential for toxicity. This toxicity, however, is idiosyncratic (peculiar); in other words, most dogs can ingest raisins to their heart's content without harm. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy, abdominal pain, and weakness seen 12-24 hours post-ingestion - all indicating renal damage. I would continue to monitor such a patient and only solicit help if those symptoms arose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I was disappointed when the answer did not come within 30 minutes as seen on the the home page. No big deal.
Thank you for your answer. It is now about 18 hours since he helped himself to the bagel. He is normal so far. I will continue to monitor him. He will see his Vet. tomorrow for his routine monthly dental treatment. I am not interested in the maintenance program. I will block any further charges unless I receive a call from you telling me how much I owe. I am in a retirement
community with JUST ONE major problem, the internet. I can't access my email to see your response. I don't want to not pay what I owe, so please call me at(###) ###-#### That is m cell phone and I will answer ASAP & return the call if you are
not on the line. Blocking you is not to say I am unhappy with your program, your service, your delay in a timely answer.
Thank you, *****(###) ###-####

I understand, Helen. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

For questions concerning your financial obligation to the please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-**** for help in that regard.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian