Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was told that it is not very successful?

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

Are you talking about an operation to remove a brain tumor?

If that's the case, yes. You're correct. While surgery to remove a brain tumor is something that *can* be done, it is very rare for a pet owner to ever choose to have this done, and even more rare for things to go well.

In the vast majority of cases, when the pet is suffering and none of the treatments are helping, the owners will make the very difficult decision to humanely euthanize their pet instead of putting the pet through something as aggressive (and difficult to recover from) as brain surgery. In most cases, that's the kindest thing for the pet.

But in your situation, the current emergency is that Lilly is currently suffering, and the medication sent home with you last night is not helping.

That means you need to go back to the ER so they can do something that *can* relieve her suffering. That may be hospitalizing her so she can be kept on IV medications. It may also mean that it's time to euthanize her, as heartbreaking as it is to consider that.

But the important thing is to not let her suffer.

Oh! I'm sorry. I see now that you're asking about Lilly, the puppy whose stomach is in her chest. I thought you were the person I was talking to about a brain tumor. My apologies.

Your vet is correct in telling you the operation is very serious, but it can be done and is routinely done by many veterinarians at specialty and referral hospitals. These types of veterinarians do this type of surgery all the time and most of the time the pet lives and completely recovers.

If this is something you can pursue for Lilly, her chances of survival are decently good.

So please disregard what I was typing above about brain surgery.

The bot***** *****ne is that a diaphragmatic hernia can indeed be fixed, but the surgery is complicated and Lilly's best chance would be in the care of a specialist.

This is also an emergency that can't wait.

Please click on the link below to learn more about diaphragmatic hernias.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/diaphragmatic-hernia

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo