Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 17 year old mini American eskimo, she's got kidney…

Customer Question
My dog is 17...

My dog is 17 year old mini American eskimo, she's got kidney failure and is on medication for phosphorus binding/blood pressure etc, this has been going since Sugusr.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

August.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Last night, she got a seizure , this was a grand mal and we took her to the emergency, they sent us back us anti seizure meds- kepra, we started off with a high dose, and then was asked to give 3 doses 7 hrs about apart

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

She's now yelping and vocalizing a lot, paving back and forth. I don't know if I should wait longer for her 3rd dose

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Percy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She was also diagnosed with IVDD.I'm just worried about her yelping and also how we can manage 3 doses a day 8 hrs apart. We started late last night at 4.00 am, then we did 11 am, 7pm now I have to give one at midnight?Scared to give another dose too early or too late ?
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience, and I'm here to help with your question about Percy.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need. It sounds like you've been through a lot with Percy already, and are in a pretty serious situation. While we discuss this, you may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
To start with, I want to let you know that I understand how tempting it is to want to give next dose of Keppra early. I'm glad you're here asking, because I need to tell you that's not a good idea. The main reason is that it's not likely to be effective. I'm worried that Percy had this seizure yesterday because of something getting much worse in her condition, and that the Keppra isn't going to be effective. It's certainly worth a try, but the likelihood of it not working is high.

With that in mind, instead of giving the Keppra early, I would advise getting her back to the ER as quickly as possible. That's where she needs to be to have the best chance of getting a treatment that can relieve her current condition (which sounds pretty bad). I wouldn't want you to waste the time trying to see if another, earlier dose of Keppra will work.

Does that make sense the way I explained it? I want to be as helpful as possible because this is such a difficult situation.

the seizure happened last night, and he vet sent us back with Kepra. They were suggesting brain tumor and MRI tests, but we don't want her to go through anesthesia.
We took her to Er last night and they put her on kepra. I'm just scared now what I should do ?

I completely understand your reluctance to have an MRI, especially when the reason for doing it is to identify a problem that doesn't have a good solution.

It's a heartbreaking situation to be in.

She has been yelping a lot

I know this is an awful, heartbreaking thing to consider, but she is suffering. I would take her back to the ER because you don't want her to suffer. They may be able to provide some relief with IV injectable medications. This is necessary because the Keppra isn't working.

And they will also be able to give you an honest opinion that if the Keppra isn't working, they may be out of options to try to help her.

I'm so sorry you're at this heartbreaking point with her.

Right. This yelping and vocalizing is very worrisome. She is not doing well at all. The therapy you have tried so far (the Keppra) isn't working, so you need to know what your options are to relieve her suffering. That means going back to the ER.

I wish there was an easier path, but there isn't.

That makes sense

I'm so sorry you're going through this and want to do all I can to help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can explain for you or discuss with you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this information has been very helpful to you. I'm so sorry that I don't have good news for you, but it's important for me to be honest. If you are satisfied with the accuracy and thoroughness of the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.

My heart goes out to you and Percy. It sounds like it's been a really rough 24 hours and that tonight isn't going to be any better. Peace and strength to you both.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight? I want to be as helpful as possible since you're in such a difficult situation.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Percy. I've been thinking about you.

nice of you, she's just really sedated and unaware. Sometimes whimpers at night and I always think This is the last time she's breathing, death is lurking around and it's getting tough. Today she's not interested in eating, yesterday was a good day- no seizures, ate well, drank a lot. Vet says she's got spunk and not ready to leave as yet.

I'm so grateful for each good day. Percy sounds like an amazing dog who's enjoyed a good life and knows how to go about this part of her life with dignity and grace.

Thank you for loving her so much and helping her through.

Is there anything else I can do to help?