Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 8 months old sweet puppy. She was not eating or…

Customer Question
She is a 8...

She is a 8 months old sweet puppy. She was not eating or drinking. Took her to the vet and had xrays. Her stomach is upnin her rib cage. Is there anything to be done?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Lilly

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience, and I'm here to help with your question about Lilly.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
To start with, can you please clarify something for me? Did the vet say Lilly has a DIAPHRAGMATIC HERNIA? If so, that requires surgery to fix.

Are you still looking for an answer to your question? I want to do all I can to help you.

I want you to know that a diaphragmatic hernia is something that *can* be fixed, and the odds are usually good for a complete recovery.

This procedure should be done by a veterinarian who is experienced and comfortable with the procedure. This often means traveling to a specialty center or emergency hospital.

But there is hope.

It is also important to emphasize that surgery is the ONLY solution. This will not go away by itself. Some dogs can live for a long time before the diaphragmatic hernia starts to cause problems, but since Lilly is already not eating or drinking, she needs surgery right away.

Let me get you some information on diaphragmatic hernias. One moment.

Please click on the link below and read this information. I hope it helps you understand more about this condition. https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/diaphragmatic-hernia

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Lilly. I've been worried about you. Is there anything else I can help with?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian