Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Trying to learn seizure on my old pet who recently went

Customer Question
Trying to learn seizure...

Trying to learn seizure on my old pet who recently went blind 4 months ago. yesterday he suffered from tonic clonic seizure and it was his first time. 4 days ago, he suffered from vomiting and 2 days ago he started diarrhea. he was put on fluids and a/b therapy. then the next day he had an episode of seizure. we took him home last night from ED and we noticed last night and today he was whining, pacing and appears confused. he seemed to have forgotten where his bed is and would start whining even when goes for a walk. His whining appears to be fear/anxiety. He would only calm down if we pick him up and carry him like a baby until he would fall asleep. is that behaviour normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the baby's name?

Barnaby, 16-17 yrs old cocker spaniel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barnaby?

On soft diet for 2 years. experienced v/d several times now this year. Vet suspect possible brain tumour or liver ca

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about Barnaby's sudden onset of seizures, with a change in mental alertness and personality occurring over the last 24 hours.

His abnormal behavior (whining, pacing and confusion) after a seizure is not uncommon if it only lasts a short time, less than 10-15 minutes. This would be much the same as suddenly awaking from a deep sleep and trying to get up and run, your coordination would be poor too, and you would be confused. But if this continues for longer periods, especially the confused behavior, then that can indicate brain disease.

Seizures are rhythmic, repetitive, muscle movements which the dog is unable to control and often loses consciousness during. Many dogs will repeatedly have chewing motions and/or leg motions and can lose urine and stool control.

There can be several reasons for seizures.
The most common is idiopathic epilepsy. That means that we don't know why but a circuit of sensitive neurons in the brain gets stuck repeatedly firing. Epilepsy occurs most frequently for the first time in dogs 6 months to 6 years of age so she is in the right age range for this to be the cause of her seizures. We do believe that there is a genetic basis for dogs to have epilepsy as certain breeds are more commonly afflicted and siblings will often have them as well. If mom carried some of the genetics for epilepsy she may not be affected. But if she bred with a male that also carried some of the genetics for epilepsy (and he may not have been affected either) then together if the wrong combination of genes resulted we could get puppies with epilepsy.
Other causes for seizures are viral, bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections, toxin exposure, metabolic diseases leading to waste products building up and affecting brain chemistry, low blood sugar, or even granulomas or masses in the brain.

Most of the other disease processes that cause seizures cause other symptoms, those dogs are sick or abnormal other than during the seizure. Thus if his abnormal behavior is persisting we need to worry that their is a serious primary disease behind his seizure and change in mental status/behavior.

Were his liver enzymes elevated, is that why your veterinarian thinks this may be related to liver disease?

The liver is responsible for clearing toxins and metabolic processes/digestion. If it is not functioning normally those wastes build up and can affect brain function.

I am concerned about his continued confusion. Is this affecting his ability to eat and drink? This could lead to low blood sugar (and more seizures) and dehydration and both can lead to long term brain damage.

If a dog's seizures are more frequent than once a month or more than one happens in a day, even if it has been several months since the last one, I recommend medication to prevent them. The reason for that is the likelihood of status epilepticus (one seizure after another), increased core body and brain temperature, and possible brain damage is higher with those scenarios and we wish to avoid that.

I do believe that there is a serious disease process behind his symptoms. If you want to pursue a diagnosis then I recommend a referral to a veterinary internal medicine specialist for advanced diagnostic testing. If you do not want to pursue any further testing then perhaps a few more days of intravenous fluids and getting him started on medication to control seizures and decrease anxiety could keep him more comfortable.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara