Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

German shepherd 11 year old male, He s on Rimadyl daily for…

German shepherd 11 year...

German shepherd 11 year old male, He s on Rimadyl daily for his hips. However, lately he can't seem to control his bowel movements. He s been house broke since he was a puppy, so I know it's not that. But he's really staring to struggle with walking. But the poop, just happens and he almost seems as shocked as I am when it happens..any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds anywhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Duke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?

No, just the hips and taking Rimadyl for them

12/5/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Duke has had a few episodes of losing control of defecation. Are these episodes happening when he is laying down?

Thank you. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a few moments.

Fecal incontinence commonly occurs with arthritis in the hips and lumbar spine. It is possible he needs some modification of his treatment plan and to add on other options besides the Rimadyl. Gabapentin, Adequan injections, physical therapy, and even acupuncture are all evidence based treatments that can help with this. Regarding diet, adding fiber to the food will help to bulk up the feces in effort to create more stimulation for him to feel a bowel movement. Using canned pumpkin and Metamucil are good options. About 3-4 tablespoons per feeding can be given of canned pumpkin.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thank you so very much!! It is greatly appreciated!

You are most welcome. My pleasure.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian