Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Losing weight and have the diarrhea. Shelby 8 years old. Not…

Customer Question
Losing weight and have...

Losing weight and have the diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Shelby 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shelby?

Not really not so active

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Shelby is experiencing weight loss and diarrhea. I am sorry to hear about this problem. Has Shelby been experiencing any recent stress or anxiety lately? Any recent food changes?

not really
she seems less active

Other causes of diarrhea can include parasites, foreign body, abdominal organ disease (i.e. pancreas, liver, intestines), food intolerance, and neoplasia. A good first step to sorting out the causes to this is to have a fecal exam and blood panel performed. It sounds like she does not have a history of this issue in the past, so an underlying food allergy is not likely. Therefore, there is likely something that is causing inflammation that is causing the diarrhea.

There are some things you can do with some over-the-counter remedies to treat for nausea. This can consist of medications like Pepcid to help decrease nausea. Probiotics and KaoPectate are also helpful. A low fat diet such as boiled chicken, white rice, or sweet potatoes can help with nutrition. You may also want to add a fiber source such as canned pumpkin or Metamucil to help bulk the stool. Finally, you will want to monitor for dehydration during this time. There are a few ways to check for dehydration. One is to feel the gums. This is the most accurate, but it has to be done when she is not panting. The gums should feel wet or slippery. If they feel dry or tacky then that is from dehydration. The other way to test is to perform the "skin tent" test. This is done by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. It should take less than 1.5-2 seconds. If you notice she is dehydrated using one of these techniques then she should be examined. If her diarrhea does not show signs of improving within 48-72 hours then she should be examined. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. Are you still there? I am still standing by.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry