Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a rawhide bone yesterday and threw up once yesterday,

Customer Question
He ate a rawhide...

He ate a rawhide bone yesterday and threw up once yesterday, once over night and again this morning had white rice for lunch and has been able to keep that and some water down but he's VERY lethargic when he's usually hyper

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Nope! He's a black lab mix - 2 years old and about 68 pounds

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What color are his gums?

Any diarrhea?

If you press on his abdomen from both sides at the same time, is he painful or uncomfortable?

No diarrhea. He had a big solid/normal poop this morning. His gums are pink and black. He doesn't wince or anything when I squeeze his abdomen.

Thanks for the information. He isn't showing any symptoms that would make be concerned enough that he needs to see the vet immediately at this point. He held down his last meal, doesn't have any diarrhea or bloody stool and doesn't seem painful or uncomfortable. He may just have a stomach ache that is keeping him subdued. It is very possible that he bounces back from this tomorrow. My best advice at this point is to just monitor him and continue with the white rice and even some chicken in small amounts. You can try Pepcid (5 mg per 10-20 lbs) for some nausea or reflux. It is usually safe. Unless he has any other vomiting or diarrhea, I probably wouldn't use any Pepto, but it can be used if there is no blood in the vomit or stool. If he continues to vomit multiple times, has diarrhea for longer than 48 hours, is not eating for longer than 24 hours, has abdominal distension, seems painful or uncomfortable or is getting progressively more lethargic or weak; I would have him checked out by a vet immediately. If he has not gotten some energy back by tomorrow, I would have your vet check him out just in case. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Lab X is doing and to see if you have any other questions.