Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our boxer had a skin hemangiosarcoma removed about 6 weeks…

Customer Question
Our boxer had a...

Our boxer had a skin hemangiosarcoma removed about 6 weeks ago. 2 chest X-rays 1 month apart did not show any obvious Mets in the lungs. What are the chances that the disease has spread? He seems a little lethargic at times and has had some diarhhea but none recently. Otherwise, he acts normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

He is about 10-11 years old, a rescue, so we don’t know his exact age.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If it was just a single skin hemangiosarcoma caused by sun damage, the prognosis is good with complete removal. Metastasis tends to be slow, but it is possible that another one can pop up at a different location.. Now, I would make sure that an abdominal ultrasound was done to check the liver and spleen. Those are common places for hemangiosarcomas and can metastasize to the skin. If that was the case, then the prognosis is very poor, even with surgical removal of masses in the abdomen. It has already spread at that point. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Rocky is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian