Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pearls. I adopted a 4-5 month old puppy yesterday and it has…

Customer Question
I adopted a 4-5...

I adopted a 4-5 month old puppy yesterday and it has still not urinated or dedicated. He is so sweet and kind, but I’m worried about him. He’s eaten 3 times since yesterday, we’ve gone on plenty of walks but still nothing. He also is from Mexico and he’s just arrived in Seattle and he hates the cold outside. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

He also vomited early this morning, it was almost nothing but it did happen.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Is he drinking plenty of water? He might be a little bit constipated while his system adjusts to his new environment. I would recommend mixing in 2 tsp of canned pumpkin into his food to see if that helps him go. You can also offer him some Pedialyte to help with any dehydration he might be experiencing from the trip. If the cold is getting to him, you can put out a few potty pads and see if he would prefer those right now while he gets acclimated to his new environment. As long as he is still having good energy and eating, this can be normal for a puppy getting acclimated to his new surroundings. If he doesn't go by tomorrow morning, I would take him in to the vet. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!