Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with either phenomena or lung cancer…

Customer Question
My dog was diagnosed...

My dog was diagnosed with either phenomena or lung cancer (they think lung cancer but sending xrays to radiologist). She is 2 weeks shy of 9 and is a Rottweiler, over the weekend her back paws started turning under and is unstable when trying to walk. She is on rimadyl. Is this part of the cancer?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound, and it happens on both back legs and she has no strength in them

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hilde

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hilde?

That is all of it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Hilde. Regretfully, pneumonia is unlikely unless there had been signs of a respiratory infection (sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, conjunctivitis) previously. In addition, Rotties are over-represented with cancer. Her paws turning under indicate a lack of conscious proprioception - knowing where one's limbs are in space - and that arises most often from myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) and less commonly from encephalopathies (brain disorders). To answer you directly, then, a cancer might have found its way into or around Hilde's spinal cord or brain or an unrelated disorder (intervertebral disk disease/a "slipped disk" or fibrocartilaginous embolism/an interruption in the blood supply to the spinal cord) has arisen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you this helps me. I think I just needed to hear from someone else that this is probably not curable and probably not pneumonia. I appreciate your honesty. It helped that we will probably making the right decision with her. Thanks again.

You're quite welcome. I understand. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian