Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Stomach is distended, heavy panting and shaking, trouble…

stomach is distended, heavy...

stomach is distended, heavy panting and shaking, trouble walking up or down steps

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

I went through his poop from last night, there was a piece sticking out that hadnt fully been passed, i pulled it out and it was a bundle of long grass

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

He is a boxer/pug mix, 5 1/2 yrs old, 30 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boxer's name?

Patches

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patches?

Not that i can think of? tried to give him greek yogurt, wouldnt eat it, tried to gove him milk and wouldnt drink it

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Is he trying to vomit?

Is his abdomen hard and really swollen?

Paul

he is not trying to vomit, his stomach is really hard, not swollen
are you there?

Thanks

Wanted to rule out gastric torsion

This sounds like either acute gastritis or pancreatitis

Here is what I would like you to do:

NO food for today

Water in small amounts if fine

Give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day

If not drinking then offer NO SALT chicken broth

Can start with cooked hamburger and rice in the morning and add two tablespoons canned pumpkin to each meal.

Update me tonight

Make sense?

Paul

sure. is there a way to help his discomfort/shaking etc...

I suspect the discomfort is secondary to the "upset" stomach

The Zantac should settle that down

Paul

Are you still there?

Paul

yep, i am running out to the store now to get those items. I will message you later tonight to update you on his status

Good job!

Okay I will look for your updates :)

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid

Paul

What strength Zantac should I get? He is roughly 30 lbs. should I get the 75 mg ones and cut in half?

Yes 75 mg Zantac

Give 1/4 tablet three times a day

Paul

I’ve been following your recommendations. 1/3 of a Zantac three times a day, rice and canned pumpkin for food. He reacted very well the first day. Since then at least once a day, usually around when he needs to poop he has all the same symptoms again. Shaking, lethargic, gingerly walking, stomach distended, and heavy panting. Is there something additional I could try to help him? Or will this continue until whatever it is causing this passes?

Thanks for the update!

I would give him another day to get back on track

Update me same time tomorrow

Keep diet of cooked hamburger and rice same till then

Paul

Could this be caused by toxic grass he ingested? If so, are these steps gonna help with that? Also I had given him boiled chicken diced up with the rice and pumpkin? Is that bad?

I don think so

I think the grass eating was secondary to the upset stomach

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian