Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of her nipples is swollen and red. She also has major…

Customer Question
One of her nipples...

One of her nipples is swollen and red. She also has major skin issues on her belly and under her front legs. Red, dry, itchy skin with hair loss.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

No fleas! Her name is ***** ***** she is 7.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mallory?

She has been treated for allergies. I’ve recently started her on nzymes but not sure if that is just making it worse. She also has yeast issues with her ears.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What did they use to treat for allergies? Did it help?

Does it feel like a mass in the nipple or mammary gland, or is it just the nipple?

Is she spayed? If so, how old was she when it occurred?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the nipple and post it or attach it to your next message?

We started with apoquel (sp?). It would help for a tiny bit then back to itching. We also did a few rounds of a shot which I can’t remember the name of. Also helped for a little bit. I feel like her skin got worse with the shot. She is spayed and that was done when she was a puppy, or whatever age you can first do it. It feels like just the nipple. I tried to attach a picture! In the picture you can also see how bad her skin is right now!! Really need some relief for her and I feel like we’ve tried so many things!!

Thanks. Not too bad. I have definitely seen worse. In all likelihood, the nipple is infected if red and swollen. You can try a triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, on it, but she would probably do better with an oral antibiotic. I am not sure what regimen you were on with the Apoquel, but if the problems were improved on it, and got bad again when she was off of it, then she most likely needs to stay on it long term at a daily dose at least (sometimes it helps every other day). If the medication only helped a little bit while on it, then I would talk to your vet about putting her on a dietary food trial with prescription hypoallergenic or limited ingredient diet to rule out food allergies (you cannot rule them out by just changing to any diet). Food allergies tend to not respond as well to steroids and Apoquel. Bathing twice weekly in an oatmeal or hydrocortisone based shampoo (chlorhexidene if there is apparent skin infection) and leaving it on for 10 minutes can help. You can also consider adding an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement (needs to have at least 33 mg of combined DHA and EPA per lb of body weight daily). Worse case scenario, your vet needs to do allergy testing and put her on allergy injections. With medications like Apoquel and Cytopoint (what that the injection she did worse with?), we normally do not need that anymore. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Mallory is doing and to see if you have any other questions.