Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have had other puppys test positive for Parvo and die on…

Customer Question
We have had other...

We have had other puppys test positive for Parvo and die on us. My husband got me a new puppy for Christmas and he has had a parvo shot with his first set of shots. Is he protected or will he get the parvo like the other puppies? Thank you Tonya Llamas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

He's got a slimy poop and I've seen blood spots in it. But I've also seen long worms in it too. This morning while waking him, he puked on my foot. That's another thing the other puppies did right before they went lethargic from the parvo.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

The lady we got him from said he's had been wormed and gave us a phamlet showing hes had a parvo shot bit it was just given to him the day before my husband brought him home. The last puppy we had only died 2 wks ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Parboiled can be infectious in the environment and even in your yard for up to a year after you've had a puppy test positive with it. A puppy isn't fully protected against parvo until they are full vaccinated at around 16 weeks and even then some of them will still get parvo in spite of that. I would recommend bleaching all the surfaces the previous puppy had been on and keep the new puppy confined to a room that can be disinfected like the kitchen. I would avoid letting the new puppy out in the yard where the othe puppy had been either and use puppy pads. I would also recommend taking the new puppy in for deworming as soon as possible. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you could take a minute to give me a positive rating so that I can receive credit for this question, I would really appreciate it. Best of luck with everything!