Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old is vomiting very thick, sticky mucus. My vet,

Customer Question
My 13 year old...

My 13 year old bitch is vomiting very thick, sticky mucus. My vet, which is the PDSA, has suggested it could be a paralyzed throat tube. (Not the Oesophagus - sorry cannot remember name). The vet prescribed 10mg Omeprazole tabs once a day. For the first 3 days our dog was fine. However, for the last two days she has vomited whenever she is slightly excited or even gives a couple of barks. I know we do not have her for much longer but would like to give her quality until the end if possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bitch eat anything unusual?

Well yes, she is making a mess but I can clear that up. However, it is not when she eats she is sick. It is just when she gets excited so I am wondering if this stuff is choking her a bit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bitch's name?

Breeze

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Breeze?

She has arthritis and takes tramadol tablets. Other than that there is nothing except this vomiting.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Did your veterinarian do chest xrays to confirm megaesophagus?

Unfortunately, this could also be a type of cancer which a xray would screen for.

Actually, they never mentioned X-rays. The mentioned a biopsy but I thought that would be rather too much for her when she was already sick and elderly. However, an X-ray might not be quite so bad although she is becoming very frightened of the Vets and would hate being on her own there. But, thank you. I will ask them about the possibility of doing an X-ray when we visit them. Problem is, I am a pensioner and the PDSA is for poorer people so I expect they will try to save money. However, they have been pretty good so I will check out if they can do an X-ray. We always pay as much as we can every time we visit. It would be better to know what it is anyway although I know it could be really bad.Thank you so much for your response.

There are medications to help manage megaesophagus like those that help the stomach empty quickly or holding her upright for 10 minutes after a meal, but with her age i am really concerned that these may not be enough.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian