Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sophie is 11 years old and has been blind for about a year…

Customer Question
Sophie is 11 years...

Sophie is 11 years old and has been blind for about a year after being mis-diagnosed. She has diabetes. Today she seems uncoordinated when inside; once we get her up outside she walks much better and urinated and pooped. This evening she went to the door but wouldn't go out; my husband and I picked her up and took her outside. She urinated again outside. About an hour ago she got up and either wanted to go to my room or outside again which would not be that unusual but stood at the door and could not go outside. I put her harnass on her so when I hear her I'll have more support with her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She is a yellow lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes labordo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Sophie. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?

She has been looking really good the past month; seemed like she was getting stronger... her pup who was 9 and lived here as well suddenly died last week. Our friend who raises dogs thought it sounded like a heart attack.. could Sophie be reacting to her death? Or is the timing just conincidental?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Do you have a glucometer at home to check her sugars? Fluctuations in blood sugars can cause uncoordinated ambulation.

She could be grieving, but I am also worried about a possible urinary tract infection that may be affecting her.

How is she doing today?

Really wanted a response last night when I couldn't access the vet. Suggestion- answer a question timely and then ask to sign up to pay for your services; don't take 12 hours to answer and expect me to want to sign up for your services.
Running blood work to check for organ failure; sugar levels were good. Put on anti-inflammatory med until results come back tomorrow.

I apologize for the delay in someone getting to you. We are all contract veterinarians who get online when we can and I had gotten online and seen your question had not been addressed and so I messaged you.

Good luck with your pet. I will contact customer service to speak with you.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian