Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My diabetic dog of 13 years. Has been in and out of vets…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, my diabetic...

Hi Pearl, my diabetic dog of 13 years. Has been in and out of vets trying to get his blood sugar balanced out as it did a samogey (pardon sp). They have now discovered that causing the fluctuations is a tumour between his bowel and bladder. I just got him home from tests, ultrasound and minor sedation but he won’t eat at all his evening meal. Shall I wait and hope when that wears off he will eat? But I can’t wait much longer to give him insulin as we can’t leave it too long and possibly affect it fluctuating again. Thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Brooklyn

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brooklyn?

He was fine until 2 weeks ago and then started flailing, disorientated, vision impaired. Restlessness. Which are classic diabetes problems for low blood sugar. But we thought we finally were getting the balance right and then he got diarrhoea and vomiting. Back in yesterday snd a large mass near the bladder was found. Back in today to specialist surgeons who sedated him to do more X-rays and ultrasound and he’s scheduled tmr for a biopsy. So I’m desperate to get some foood into him now and insulin before the stress of tmrw

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Brooklyn, please?

In general, even if one meal is missed I continue the same dose of insulin; if two consecutive meals are missed, I halve the dose; and if three consecutive meals are missed I suspend insulin administration.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian