Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been receiving IV fluids for the past 3 day for…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been receiving IV fluids for the past 3 day for kidney failure. However, today it seems like her breathing is weird, almost like there is fluid in her lungs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Roxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?

When I brought her home from vet today, she did not want to eat and she vomited a lot of fluid.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about Roxy's change in breathing pattern tonight after 3 days of intravenous fluids in an attempt to treat her for kidney failure. I understand that she has refused to eat and has vomited fluid.

Unfortunately it is possible that her poor kidney function is such that she was not able to efficiently process the fluids she was given today, and she may indeed have fluid accumulating in her lungs.

Dogs in kidney failure also have trouble maintaining a normal blood acid/base balance. Their body may try to regulate an abnormal acid/base balance by increasing the dog's breathing rate in an attempt to get rid of acids. This is extremely inefficient and dogs that are unbalanced and sick enough to have this sort of attempt at regulation are in real trouble.

I am very concerned about Roxy and I think given what you have told me she needs to be rechecked on an urgent basis, particularly if she cannot comfortably rest/sleep.

If you do not have access to an emergency clinic tonight then have her seen right away by her regular veterinarian in the morning.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian