Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What would be the early sysptoms of pyometra. She has just…

Customer Question
What would be the...

What would be the early sysptoms of pyometra

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She has just come off heat.... she was with a stud male but i didnt witness them join. She has enlarged nipples and very tired and i noticed a small amount of discharge this am

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

She is a Australian kelpie and she is 18 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Dolly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dolly?

No she is up to date with everything... been a very healthy active dog

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

With a pyometra symptoms can vary but typically will include increased water intake, urination, reduced appetite, sometimes vomiting/ diarrhea, lethargy, vulvar discharge with a strong odor. CLICK HERE for an article on pyometra in dogs

If this is a possibility running a CBC and an abdominal ultrasound and/ or x-ray will help definitively diagnose the issue. As you likely know if not treated it can lead to sepsis, the uterus can rupture and it is life threatening so if this is a possibility and she is showing a few of these symptoms (lethargy, vaginal discharge soonafter a heat cycle) working this up would be advised.

Typically I don't see enlarged mammary glands as a result but it is possible

I hope this infomration makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!