Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a cockatoo 9 yrs old, Grcie. She has growths

Customer Question

We have a cockatoo 9 yrs old , Grcie. She has growths developing on her body. Random spots . They start off like tiny pimples that grow and cause her to scratch constantly . We had her at a vet who diagnosed it as an allergy . Had her tested which resulted in her testing positive for pork, sweet potatoes and one or two other substances that she never gets from us or from her food ( same as she has been getting since puppyhood . Have checked ingredients too ). She has anti histamine tabs from the vet that help with the itch but has new growths developing which is very worrisome. We treat her growths with 3% peroxide which seems to help . Is there anything else that we could do ? Also, she is an indoor dog that only goes out in out smallish back garden (lawn) and in the car with us. And, of course , for her monthly visit to the groomers . Have checked with the groomers if they are using any new products and they say not. She is still getting half a tablet of Triamcinolone Acet 0.5 per day . Any help would be much appreciated !
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: Cannot think of anything at present.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to take pictures of the random spots? Is she on a flea preventative?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can take picture . No she is not on any flea preventative at present . Has not been on one for approx a year. Has no fleas.

Okay thanks for the additional information. I will look for the picture of the skin.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can take picture . No she is not on any flea preventative at present . Has not been on one for approx a year. Has no fleas.I will take photo in the morning and send it. Sorry. Cannot do it right now. Thanks for the interest !

Okay when I get the picture I will let you know what I think of what the growths and give you some other options that you may be able to ask your veterinarian about to help treat Gracie