Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It is Sunday. The vet is closed. My Shih Tzu came down with…

It is Sunday. The vet...
It is Sunday. The vet is closed. My Shih Tzu came down with a cough last night after being boarded a few days ago. I have two (2) other dogs who haven’t come down with the cough yet. They probably will as isolation is impossible. What may I give the dog NOW to help ease the coughing and gaging? All three have been vaccinated for bordatella, but this happened the last time I had them at this same kennel. Will not use them again!! What may I safely do now, on Sunday afternoon?
Thank you.
12/3/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sophia. It's best to avoid over the counter cough suppressants which usually contain dextromethorphan and alcohol which aren't recommended due to lack of efficacy and toxicity at higher doses in dogs. A teaspoon of honey every few hours is likely to more effective and better accepted than the over the counter products. In the great majority of cases, the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. In dogs in which I don't see improvement within a week of the onset of signs or, indeed, my patient has worsened in that time frame, I'll prescribe an antibiotic of choice when addressing this complex such as doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you. So your advise is to give the dog honey? Is there anything else that can be done today? As I said, my other two dogs will most likely come down with the cough soon. They did last time. Sophie’s coughing and gaging seems to be worse than the last time this happens. So honey is all that you can recommend?
No, I don’t wish to call you for am additional $28.
Thanks. Can you add anything to the honey you are recommending for the cough, hacking and gaging?

Yes, and it's the most effective treatment for Sophia at this time. We've found that administering an antibiotic at this stage may only lessen the course of the infection by a few hours. If you happen to have a narcotic antitussive at home for people, please let me know and I'll see if I can give you a dose for Sophia.

No, I do not have a narcotic antitussive for humans at my home now.
Thanks.

You're necessarily constrained to dosing with honey. There's nothing else that should be recommended for these dogs as pertains to over the counter medication. If you'd like a second opinion from us I'll opt out which will allow another expert to enter this conversation. There's no extra charge to you for this service. Please let me know.

Thank you for the advise. I’ll go to the store and get honey. One question.... does the honey have to be ‘raw’? I already read that on the internet and it said the honey had to be Raw.
Raw honey is not readily available to me at this time.

No, any honey will suffice. It acts by soothing the oropharynx (back of the throat) and osmotically shrinking swollen mucus membranes which then acts to control coughing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

No thanks. ***** be transferred back to however method I am to pay the remaking balance that I owe for your advice?
Thank you.

You're welcome. Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us, ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0 or 1-***-***-**** for help concerning your financial obligation to the site.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Judith,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophia. How is everything going?