Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog who has had Cushings disease we think( All symptoms…

Customer Question
My dog who has...

My dog who has had Cushings disease we think( All symptoms but did not go through the whole diagnosis tests because we were pretty sure)....has been drinking a ton and eating a ton and wet in the back end..incontinent a bit has just been diagnosed with diabetes. At the vet we were leaning toward euthanasia. However I want to make sure that is the right decision. She is 11 1/2 Westiepoo. These questions I didn't ask the vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name?

What are my options and what will happen if I do nothing?
a. How will the disease progress? Will this be a disease that progresses quickly or is it going to be something that is a nagging problem for years to come?
b. How long does my animal have to live if I don’t treat?
Will my animal be in pain?”

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Suzie

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A diabetic cushingoid dog presents a challenge like no other to a vet. The diagnostics needed to regulate such a patient are exhaustive, ongoing, and expensive in terms of both money and time for a caretaker. I tell caretakers to expect thousands of dollars of expense in the initial year alone.

To answer you directly, the quality of life of my patient is paramount. Unless I can keep my patient comfortable and happy - and that will be predicated upon not only her diabetes and Cushing's being well-controlled but also being able to control concurrent disorders of which there will be many - I don't believe that continuing to manage her disease is appropriate. There will be a lot of unending poking and prodding which may or may not cause considerable stress in my patient. If nothing is done Suzie will be euthanized due to unacceptable signs of uncontrolled diabetes - excessive thirst and appetite, volume of urine, and cachexia (wasting). This disease can't be ignored. Cushing's is a terminal disease as well but isn't as quickly life-threatening as is diabetes. Pain isn't expected and longevity is difficult to assess as it would be predicated upon the severity of her diabetes and how advanced her Cushing's was at time of diagnosis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian