Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a Glisten garbage disposal tablet. It contains…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a Glisten garbage disposal tablet. It contains -Limonene which Ithink is poison. What should I do. It says for children not to induce vomiting but to call poison control. Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?

No but I found ne little ball he bit into and musthavespit out and I am missing another one out of the package. They flew out when I was opening it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, he's perfectly healthy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

In one study Beagles were administered 450 mg per pound of body of d-limonene twice daily for 6-months and there was no change in food consumption or body weight. The toxic changes seen in the kidneys of rats didn't appear in dogs. We can't know how many mg were in that tablet but it's unlikely to approach the levels fed in that study. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but it's unlikely that he was intoxicated. Continue to monitor him as signficant fluid loss from vomiting or diarrhea might necessitate a vet visit. There's no specific antidote and so any treatment would be symptomatic and supportive only. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian