Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 month old chihuahua was chewing on a the end of an

Customer Question
My 2 month old...

My 2 month old chihuahua was chewing on a the end of an already burned joint. I feel so terribly. I got it out of her mouth but she has been swaying and threw up once

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

She got into a tiny tiny tiny amount of marijuana (Im in CO where it's legal)

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Nala

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?

Shes very small. thats about it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You're seeing the signs of THC overdose but it's very dififcult to seriously intoxicate a dog with THC. There's no way to know just how much was ingested but please note that the minimal lethal dose of THC is a whopping 1.5 grams (1,500 mg) per pound of body weight. There's no specific antidote and so these dogs are kept warm in a quiet and darkened area until they recover - usually within 24 hours although large ingestions can result in remissions over a period of up to 4 days. Please assess her respiratory rate every hour. It should remain over 6-8 breaths per minute and check her gum and tongue color which should remain nicely pink - not greyish/bluish which would indicate cyanosis - a lack of oxygen to her tissues. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

It was a very tiny amount and thankfully she didnt swallow anything but a few tiny crumbs. She seems to be breathing properly. Still swaying when up. Can't walk much. I'm worried sick

A few tiny crumbs won't endanger even such a tiny dog. Please don't allow her to stumble around and hurt herself. She'll enjoy your holding her while you go about your daily chores!