Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3lb Chihuahua that is in heat but has been throwing…

Customer Question
I have a 3lb...

I have a 3lb Chihuahua that is in heat but has been throwing up thick yellow bile at least 2x's a day for 3 days now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of we keep a pretty good eye on her and make sure not to leave things laying around

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Naughty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Naughty?

She's not up to date on her Vaccinations

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Thank you

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting even intermittently we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later, especially with her tiny size, the recurrent vomiting and being in heat. I would want to rule out a pyometra or infection in her uterus causing her illness. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode but please get her out on leash walks which helps encourage gi motility and reduces nausea

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound (1/8 of a 10 mg) every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Naughty comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your little one is feeling better soon!

Good evening, I am signing off for the night in a few moments but wanted to check in on Naughty before I go? I hope her symptoms have subsided with my recommendations...

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian